This guide is designed to assist you through the development process and to ultimately expedite your project toward a successful completion. From obtaining a Land Use Permit to receiving your Certificate of Occupancy, this guide will lead you through the process. The Development Guide contains a complete listing of the department, division, agency and/or commission you may need to deal with, preliminary information you will need, an explanation of how and when to access each process, and a glossary of important development terms. Regardless of the nature or scope of your project, you are encouraged to contact the department, division, agency and/or commission listed for further information. Your prompt contact will enable us to anticipate your needs and serve you properly. The Town of Carrboro and all of the agencies responsible for reviewing development proposals within the Town aim to be responsive to your needs. Please do not hesitate to contact any agency to assist you along the way.
We hope the Town of Carrboro Development Guide will serve as a valuable resource for you.
Browse application forms and checklists related to these development review processes.
- Annexation (PDF)
- Appeal (PDF)
- Commercial and Unified Residential Site Plans (PDF)
- Construction Plan Approval (PDF)
- Final Plat Approval (PDF)
- Glossary Key Development Terms Zoning Districts Defined (PDF)
- Home Occupation Permits (PDF)
- New Residential Construction (Single Family) (PDF)
- NPDC Approval (PDF)
- Rezoning (PDF)
- Sign Permits (PDF)
- Special Exception (PDF)
- Storage Accessory Structures (Single Family) (PDF)
- Subdivision of Property (PDF)
- Text Amendment (PDF)
- Variance (PDF)
- Village Mixed Use Projects (PDF)
- Introduction (PDF)
- Understanding The Development Review Process (PDF)
- The Processes for Various Types of Development (PDF)