OWASA Board of Directors
- 2nd Thursday of each month at 6 p.m.
400 Jones Ferry Road
Carrboro, NC 27510
- 4th Thursday of each month at 7 p.m.
405 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
Governing a critical public utility effectively requires a group of dedicated volunteers with a broad range of knowledge and experiences. The Orange Water and Sewer Authority (OWASA) Board of Directors is unique in that it is in fact a governing Board and, therefore, does not simply advise the elected bodies on issues. Our Board of Directors addresses a wide variety of issues including infrastructure investment, employee compensation and benefits, finance and rate setting, customer service and affordability, environmental protection, forestry, public health, and community engagement, among others. Experience in these areas can be helpful, but specific technical experience is not required; the only true qualification needed is a genuine commitment to serve the community. Former Board members have found serving on the Board to be a meaningful and rewarding experience, though this level of community service does require a significant investment of time and energy to prepare for and attend meetings. OWASA embraces diversity and inclusion in everything we do, and we encourage all interested candidates to apply with Carrboro, Chapel Hill, or Orange County for appointments to our Board of Directors.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Town of Carrboro has two representatives on the Orange Water and Sewer Authority (OWASA) Board of Directors. As members of the OWASA Board, you will:
- Assist in establishing operating policies in such areas as personnel, purchasing, budgeting, water and sewer expansion, reimbursement agreements, rates, billing and similar areas of operation.
- Assist in the overview and approval of general system development, such as new water supplies, new wastewater treatment facilities, water transmission mains, and sewer outfall lines.
- Share in the responsibility for the fiscal integrity of the Orange Water and Sewer Authority.
- Report to the Carrboro Board of Aldermen as requested by the board and perform such duties as the Board may request from time to time.