Go to Home Page
Go to Home Page
Police Department
Carrboro Home
Search Site
Animal Control
Fingerprinting Schedule
UCR Crime Statistics
Email Alert System
Town Manager
Town Clerk
Recreation & Parks
Planning Department
Economic Development
Public Works
Fire-Rescue Department
Finance & Budget
Human Resources
Police Department
This information is provided by the Carrboro Police Department in an effort to answer questions the public may have in regards to commercial solicitors. If you do not find the answer among the following then you may contact (919)918-7402 for further explanation.
Frequently Asked Questions:
  1. Who is considered a solicitor?

    Answer: Any door-to-door salesmen, merchants or peddles who engages in the sale of books, periodicals, printed music, ice, wood for fuel, fish, beef, mutton, pork, bread, cakes, pies, dairy products, eggs, livestock, or other articles produced by the vendor offering them for sale; or are exclusively engaged in interstate commerce by soliciting goods, wares, magazines, periodicals, or other merchandise produced outside the State of North Carolina.

  2. Do I need a permit?

    Answer: If you fall under the answer of the first question then YES.

  3. How do I get a permit?

    Answer: You must complete the application process that can be obtained online HERE then delivered to the Carrboro Police Department Monday –Friday, 8:30 until 4:30 in person.

  4. How long will the process take?

    Answer: The process can take up to 2 weeks for final approval.

Further details of the Towns Policies regarding commercial solicitation can be found in Chapter 8 Trades and Businesses of the Town Code.

Look for sections 8-60 through 8-63.

Note: Some commercial sales may need to obtain a privilege permit and that can be obtained at the Town Hall.
Mail to Webmaster