Household Waste

Roll-Out Containers

Residents must place trash in roll-out containers. The containers are 95 gallon capacity and may be purchased from the Town Hall receptionist at 301 W Main Street. You may print a Roll-out Trash Container Order Form and mail along with a check or purchase in person at Town Hall. Public Works will deliver the container to your residence within 2 business days of receipt of payment.

To use the online form, follow these steps -

  1. Download and print the Roll-out Trash Container Order Form (PDF).
  2. Mail completed form and check to:
    Carrboro Town Hall
    Attn. Roll-out Trash Container
    301 W Main St.
    Carrboro, NC 27510.

Garbage & Household Trash Disposal Guidelines

Please follow these simple guidelines when disposing of garbage and household trash:

  • Containers shall be placed adjacent to the street by 7:30 a.m. on collection day (but not before dark on day prior to collection) and removed from the pick-up point by 6 a.m. the day following the collection day.
  • All household trash must be placed in a garbage bag and then placed inside the container.
  • Place containers at the street with the lid opening toward the street.
  • Allow 3 feet of clearance between your container and any other item including the recycle container.
  • To report service problems, call 919-918-7425 or email the Solid Waste Division.

Thank you for following these tips. It helps us provide better service to you. Please see the holiday schedule (PDF) for alternate day collections.

Trash to Put Into Your Container

Acceptable Items

Household trash and food waste

Non-Acceptable Items

  • Dirt, sod, rock or concrete
  • Large appliances or furniture
  • Hot ashes
  • Flammable materials such as:
    • Oil
    • Gas
    • Paint
  • Debris from construction, remodeling, or demolition
  • Absolutely no toxic or hazardous waste
  • Yard waste
  • Batteries:
    • Large sized alkaline batteries and wet cell / lead acid batteries such as the kind found in cars, trucks, and boats
  • Corrugated cardboard:
    • Orange County Recycling collects corrugated cardboard as part of their curbside recycling.
    • Cardboard boxes should be flattened and placed alongside other recyclables and in pieces no longer than 3 feet by 3 feet, limit 10 boxes.

Yard Waste

For yard waste see town yard waste page / for all other items contact Orange County Solid Waste Management at 919-968-2788.