Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
The Orange County Local Government Affordable Housing Collaborative invites residents and organizations to a series of five community meetings seeking input to help shape the Collaborative’s Annual Action Plan, Assessment of Fair Housing, and the Five-Year Consolidated Plan. Individuals who live or work within the vicinity of the community meetings are encouraged to attend and articulate their local needs. For those who are unable to attend in person, there will be two (2) virtual meetings offered for residents to attend using a phone or web-browsing. The funds originate from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), which requires the Consolidated Plan. The plan serves as an action-oriented management tool and guides federal grant spending to address housing and community development needs for low- and moderate-income residents for the next five years within the jurisdiction. The funds are broken down into the following two
● The HOME Investment Partnerships Program (HOME) is the largest Federal block grant available to communities to create affordable housing. The intent of
the HOME Program is to:
1) increase the supply of decent, affordable housing to low- and very low-income households;
2) expand the capacity of nonprofit housing providers;
3) strengthen the ability of state and local governments to provide housing; and
4) leverage private sector participation.
● The Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) is an annual grant to localities and states to assist in the development of viable communities. These viable communities are achieved by providing decent housing, a suitable living environment, and expanded economic opportunities for persons of low- and moderate-income. Every year, HUD determines the amount of HOME & CDBG funds that states and local governments—also known as Participating Jurisdictions. In Orange County, the HOME Participating Jurisdiction is a Consortium consisting of Orange County and the Towns of Carrboro, Chapel Hill, and Hillsborough, with the County acting as lead entity. In 2017, the Consortium was renamed the Orange County Local Government Affordable Housing Collaborative. Based on prior funding patterns, Orange County’s HOME award to average around $400,000 each year. The Town of Chapel Hill is an entitlement grantee for CDBG funding and receives approximately $400,000 each year. The Collaborative is also seeking input from the public for the Assessment of Fair Housing, which assesses fair housing issues such as segregation, conditions that restrict fair housing choice and disparities in access to housing and opportunity, and establishes fair housing priorities and goals that are included in the Consolidated Plan.
The three (3) community and two (2) virtual meetings will solicit input from residents, community organizations, and local interest groups. Attendees will be asked to complete the “Consolidated Plan Resident Questionnaire,” which is also available on The Orange County website at http://orangecountync.gov/2337/HOME-Consolidated-Plan. The Collaborative will then use that input in developing the Annual Action Plan, Assessment of Fair Housing, and the Consolidated Plan. There will also be a version of the questionnaire offered for Spanish-speaking residents. The list of meetings is shown on the last page. Individuals unable to attend the community meetings may submit written comments through Wednesday, March 4, 2020 to Erika Brandt via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, fax 919-644-3056, or mail to the Orange County Department of Housing & Community Development, P.O. Box 8181, Hillsborough, NC 27278.
Meeting Location Date & Time
Friday, February 14, 2020 1:00PM - 2:00PM
Public Participation Webinar
https://zoom.us/j/582269451 or Dial by Telephone +1 646 558 8656 - Webinar ID: 582 269 451
A recording of the webinar will be available on the County website.
Community Meeting - Wednesday ,February 19, 2020 from 7:00PM - 8:30PM
Carrboro Town Hall
301 W Main St.
Carrboro, NC 27510
Community Meeting - Sunday, February 23, 2020 from 2:00PM - 3:30PM
Town of Hillsborough Substation
501 Rainey Ave.
Hillsborough, NC 27278
Public Participation Webinar Tuesday, February 25, 2020 from 1:00PM - 2:00PM
https://zoom.us/j/692893469 or Dial by Telephone +1 646 558 8656 - Webinar ID: 692 893 469
A recording of the webinar will be available on the County website
Community Meeting Wednesday, February 26, 2020 6:30PM - 8:00PM
Hargraves Community Center - 216 N Roberson St. Chapel Hill, NC 27516