CARRBORO, NC -- Mayor Damon Seils has joined mayors from across the country to sign the Mayors’ Compact to Combat Hate, Extremism and Bigotry.
The effort is led by the Anti-Defamation League and U.S. Conference of Mayors.
The Mayors’ Compact has 10 components:
- Expressly rejecting extremism, white supremacy and all forms of bigotry
- Denouncing all acts of hate wherever they occur
- Ensuring public safety while protecting free speech and other basic constitutional rights
- Calling for fully-restored law enforcement and civil rights investigations of domestic terrorism and hate crimes
- Elevating and prioritizing anti-bias and anti-hate programs in our nation’s schools
- Supporting targeted communities and bringing together civic and community leaders to build trust
- Celebrating diversity, promoting inclusivity and challenging bias
- Promoting law enforcement training on responding to and reporting hate incidents, hate crimes and domestic terrorism
- Encouraging residents in their communities to report hate incidents and crimes, including using hotlines and online tools
- Maintaining civil rights enforcement and strengthening hate crime laws when necessary
“I’m proud to stand with other mayors as we speak out against hate, extremism and bigotry,” Mayor Seils said.
The complete compact is available at https://www.usmayors.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/USCM-Mayors-Compact-to-Combat-Hate-and-Extremism-with-Names-Sept-2022.pdf