- Public Works
- Carrboro's Creeks
- Bolin Creek Watershed Restoration
Bolin Creek Watershed Restoration
Carrboro staff worked with Chapel Hill and other local, state and federal agency staff in 2006 to create the Bolin Creek Watershed Restoration Team (BCWRT) because Bolin Creek has been on the list of state and federal impaired waterbodies. At the time, the Bolin Creek watershed was selected as one of only 7 watersheds in the state to receive focused state and federal assistance in preparing grant applications and leveraging other resources to remove Bolin Creek from the impaired waters list. The selection was based on Bolin Creek's impairment listing and the existence of restoration planning efforts for the larger Morgan and Little Creek Watersheds, but more importantly, because of the local capacity for progressive environmental initiatives. The BCWRT's long term goal is to improve the health of Bolin Creek and its tributaries and remove it from the impaired waters list. This is an ambitious goal that will require a robust commitment for many years to come.
To date, the following successes have been achieved:
- In 2003, a watershed assessment of the Little Creek watersheds in which Bolin Creek is located was completed
- In 2004, a management study of the Morgan and Little Creek watersheds was completed.
- In 2006, the NC Division of Water Quality and EPA pledged staff assistance.
- In 2007, the Team received a Clean Water Management Trust Fund grant that was used to conduct a detailed geomorphic analysis to identify areas of erosion, instability, and other high risk locations.
- In 2008 and 2009 the Team received two federal "319" grants to pursue restoration projects, planning, and monitoring. Both grant efforts were successfully completed.
- In 2012, a Watershed Restoration Plan and Watershed Situation Assessment for Bolin Creek were completed.
A local nonprofit, the Friends of Bolin Creek, is actively involved in the effort to protect and restore Bolin Creek.
- Bolin Creek Watershed Restoration Plan 2012
- Bolin Creek Case Study_StreamConference_2012
- Dry Gulch Final Report (pdf)
- McDougle Final Report (pdf)
- Pacifica Final Report (pdf)
- Bolin Creek Watershed Study (LARGE download file) (PDF)
- Information Sharing Meeting Presentation (PDF)
- Little Creek Watershed Assessment Report
- Morgan Creek EEP Assessment Report 2004