For the most up-to-date weather information, please visit the National Weather Service - Raleigh at weather.gov/rah
Sunday (Jan. 16) Morning UPDATE -- Freezing rain and sleet will limit the amount of snow expected to fall in our area Sunday, according to the latest forecasts from the National Weather Service. We may see less than an inch of snow accumulation from Sunday’s winter storm, but significant ice and strong wind gusts are expected to make travel “nearly impossible,” and lead to power outages. Please stay off the roads.
- The Orange County government has followed the State of North Carolina and issued an emergency declaration which includes Carrboro, Chapel Hill and Hillsborough.
- Chapel Hill Transit has suspended transit service for Sunday and will provide an update about Monday service later today.
- Orange County's Waste and Recycling Centers will be closed Sunday, Jan. 16, due to inclement weather. All solid waste facilities will be closed Monday for the Martin Luther King, Jr., holiday. If your recycling is not collected as scheduled due to the weather, please leave carts curbside and they will be collected by the end of the week.
Saturday (Jan. 15) Afternoon UPDATE -- Expect 1-3 inches of snow and icy roads that could make travel hazardous. Up to a third of an inch of ice will cover roads and trees, according to the National weather Service, with wind gusts strong enough to knock over weak trees and blow branches onto power lines. These conditions mean everybody should stay home and stay safe during the storm. Precipitation is expected to start in the early hours of Sunday morning
Please access the following helpful links:
- Be Winter Weather Ready by making a family communications plan, restocking your emergency supplies kit, and bringing your pets inside. Gather flashlights, batteries, blankets and other supplies. Fuel vehicles. Charge phones and laptops. Learn more at https://www.readync.gov/stay-informed/north-carolina-hazards/winter-weather
- Power Outages -- Duke Energy estimates 750,000 customers could lose power in Carolinas due to winter storm. Read their update at https://townofcarrboro.org/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=1976
- Duke Energy customers can report an outage by texting OUT to 57801 or may also report an outage or view current outages on the Duke Energy app or at www.duke-energy.com/outages.
- Piedmont Electric customers can call 800-449-2667 or 800-222-3107. Voice instructions will direct you through the system. Online: https://pemc.smarthub.coop/Login.html Text “pemc” to 800-222-3107. Then text “#out” to report an outage. For outage updates, text “#status”.
- Town of Carrboro Public Works is responsible for responding and reducing winter weather related roadway hazards. Public Works crews have worked to pretreat roads by applying brine throughout town. This process helps prevent snow and ice from bonding to pavement, making it easier to plow off. Watch this video from Spectrum News about the brining process at https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nc/charlotte/news/2022/01/14/carrboro-crews-brine-roads-ahead-of-weekend
- Thanks to our Public Works Department! The Carrboro Public Works Department schedules a Snow Plow Rodeo each year to provide training opportunities to employees. Before it's actually snowing, they work on skills and technical abilities with snow plows and other equipment. Meet the Public Works Team that will remove ice and snow from our roads! Watch the video at https://youtu.be/WrtSrUqr1wY
Stay safe out there, Carrboro!